Joy Kennedy and I have been friends for years and years – I remember us cheering together when we were in junior high, and I have some embarrassing pictures of us in leopard crop tops to prove it. When I moved back to Houston from Austin, we began to meet up regularly for coffee, mimosas, and dinner, and she told me about her new business idea – Priya, which is a fashion line built on the desire to help empower women in India who have been rescued from sex trafficking. Priya partners with a program called Destiny Reflection, which employs more than 15 women full time and 30 part time, for most of its items. Another program, Silence, employs workers who are deaf and mute – these women make the stunning silk bangles for the line.
The bags and jewelry are absolutely gorgeous (not surprising, as Joy is stylish to boot). I have the fold over clutch in cerulean, and I love it. I’m so proud of Joy for how far she’s come in such a short period of time. To celebrate her success, I’m doing a giveaway. If you ‘like’ or comment (for non-Wordpress users) on this post and do the same for the Priya Facebook page, you’ll be entered into a raffle for a free pb clutch and a silk bangle in your choice of color. You have until 11:59 PST. I’ll post the winner’s name on the blog Monday. It’s that easy!
For more about Priya, click on the links below:
- Fashion blogger Salt and Pepper’s Priya post: Concrete Catwalk
- Veronika’s Blushing post: The Bag That Looks Good and Does Good
- Modern Luxury article: Joy to the World
- Houston Chronicle article: Clothing line, born in slums
- University of St. Thomas video: Priya and article: Priya Empowers Rescued Indian Women
- Absolutely Katy article: Dream Job
- Your Houston News article: Taylor Graduate Starts Clothing Line
- You can also follow Priya on Twitter and Instagram
*Photo of Joy courtesy of Atessa Nicole