I have been toying with the idea of a healthy apple pie for ages now, as anyone close to me knows I adore stewed apples. What exactly is a stewed apple? Simple. It’s when an apple is skinned (optional), cored, diced and popped into the microwave for about 2 1/2 – 3 minutes. It comes out soft and sweeter (how? I have no idea). I eat a stewed apple almost every single night after dinner. It’s the best dessert.
After scouring the internet, I found a lot of vegan apple pie recipes online, but none of them were to my liking (i.e. healthy enough). You don’t need all of that added sugar if you bake with a delicious apple (namely Honey Crisp).
I baked three batches of these vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, crustless apple pies, adjusting little things each time, and the recipe below is the winner. The ingredients make two servings – baked in little ramekins (I used these from Sur La Table).
PS Isla’s nursery is one of the finalist for Project Nursery’s project of the month! I would love your vote.
Serving size: 2 medium sized ramekins
- 1/2 heaping cup of old fashioned rolled oats (make sure to check if they are gluten free if you are cooking for someone with an intolerance – these are!)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 generous tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of finely diced/chopped pitted dates
- 2 large Honey Crisp (or any sweet apple like Pink Lady) apples
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
- Add oats to mixing bowl
- Melt almond butter in separate bowl and add to oats
- Melt coconut oil in separate bowl and add to mixing bowl
- Stir together and add cinnamon, honey, chopped walnuts and dates
- Peel apples (optional – I did twice, but not on the third time), core them and chop them up in small pieces and add to bowl. Put diced apples into the microwave for 5 minutes at medium-high heat (open around 3.5 minutes to check on them). They will become slightly translucent when they are ready.
- Add stewed apples to mixture and stir.
- Spoon apple pie ingredients into the ramekins and put them into the oven for 20-25 minutes (check at 20 minutes)
- Let the apple pies cool! Serve them plain, or add melted almond butter or vegan ice cream on top. Enjoy!
If you decide to make these apple pies, please let me know how they turn out in the comments below! Bon appétit!
Please note: I took these photos myself. I would love if you share them, but please give credit to Snapshots & My Thoughts.