I’ve been searching for healthy vegan cheesecake recipes on Google for ages, and I kept finding ‘healthy’ recipes that include tons and tons of maple syrup or sugar, which, in my books, isn’t healthy. I also found a number of recipes that involve freezing the cheesecakes (which qualifies them as being raw), but I think frozen desserts to have less taste than that of warm or room-temperature ones.
Given that I could not find my perfect healthy vegan recipe online, I decided to do some experimenting and oh-my-goodness, y’all… I love these cheesecakes so much. They may not be low fat (think quite a bit of nuts), but they are low-carb!
Sasha and I demolished these over the weekend – our favorite toppings were raspberry jam (we love Bonne Maman Raspberry Preserves) and just plain raspberries. As explained below, I mistakenly tried adding the toppings after they had already set, which should be avoided (although they still tasted amazing).
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup Kellogg’s Special K Protein Plus Cereal
- 1/4 cup Flaxseed Meal
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup Pitted Dates (approx. 10)
- 3 tablespoons melted Coconut Oil
- 2 cups raw, unsalted cashews soaked 4+ hours in water
- 1 tablespoon Organic Agave Nectar or 2 packets of Truvia or Stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- Optional toppings: Chopped dates, Bonne Maman Raspberry Preserves, fruit, nuts
- Add oats, Special K cereal, flax meal and walnuts to blender and puree until soft, powder-like mixture is left.
- Add pitted dates and blend.
- Add melted coconut oil and stir by hand, then spoon into cupcake liners in baking pan (I used paper ones, but silicone would work well too!).
- Put in the fridge to firm while making cheesecake filling.
- Add soaked cashews to the blender and puree until smooth (but thick) peanut butter-like consistency.
- Add melted coconut oil, salt and agave nectar and blend.
- Spoon filling into the cupcake liners and add toppings of your choice (I mistakenly added them after they were ready to eat! Don’t make the same mistake!).
- Put into the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm, then enjoy!
If you decide to try these at home, please let me know if you enjoy them!