I hope everyone had a merry Christmas or happy Hanukkah – can you believe it’s all over? I am seriously in a state of denial. I cannot believe 2015 is just a handful of days away. I am excited to see what the new year brings.
We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day with my parents in Katy, which is only 20 minutes away from our house (a short enough drive to do throughout the day to let Belle in and out of the house). I was taken aback when Karine and Jill (my older and younger sisters) asked to change the family tradition of watching Christmas Vacation on Christmas Eve (I discussed it here), but it all ended up working out as we agreed to watch Frozen as a family (obsessed). We woke up nice and early with stockings at the end of our bed. Isla wasn’t quite as excited as I was! After waking up Karine and Jill, we opened stockings then gifts. I got the colorful Riad rug from West Elm (in photos below), a new steamer, a T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Ion Generator Hair Dryer (it dries my hair in half the time!), amongst other lovely gifts from my family. One of the major highlights of the entire day was opening all of the incredible gifts (so well wrapped that I was slightly hesitant to do so) from my sweet friend Mara (of Hook Thread & Tinker). She is amazing and sent the most adorable and thoughtful presents for me, Isla, Sasha, and Belle. I wanted to hug her, but she was off vacationing in Mexico (jealous).
The week was pretty chaotic getting ready for Christmas and then getting ready for Isla’s Christening on Saturday. I will be sharing photos and details of the ceremony and reception tomorrow (taken by the very talented Christie of KiKiMac). Other highlights include:
- Meeting my coworker-turned-friend for lunch at Ruggles Gree, taking a stroll through Town and Country (this does not normally happen in Houston, as proven by the lack of sidewalks for strollers) and picking up some clothes at Gap and books at Barnes and Noble
- Trying a new feeding method that is working! We are now doing baby-led-weaning (or BLW) instead of feeding Isla purees, and so far, so good. Isla has been smearing her face in banana, apple and avocado for a week, but also eating a lot of it, which is a good step forward
- Playing with our x-Isla-phone a lot… it’s so much fun (mainly for me, I think)
- Sitting in the shopping cart at HEB for the first time using our new Infantino Cloud Cart Cover
- Going to REI on Boxing Day for my family’s annual ‘jacket trip’ – Sasha and Isla left with new thermal jackets (see photo below), and I got some cold weather running gear
- Spending time with all of Sasha’s cousins who are in town for the holidays
- Making floral arrangements for many hours on Friday to prepare for Isla’s Christening the following day (which meant a trip to Southern Floral Co, HEB, Whole Foods and Trader Joes!)
- Having a semi-lazy Sunday due to all of the heavy rain in Houston! I loved it
- Baking up a storm with recipes from the delicious raw vegan cookbook that Mara gave me… I will be sharing my favorites soon!
- Finishing three Shutterfly projects: a family birthday calendar for Serbian Christmas (January 6), a Christening book, and my annual 2014 book (I’ll share later!) – there are always incredible sales taking place, and I totally jumped at the sound of 40% off (especially since I ordered 16 items)
This week, I’ve got to write a million thank you cards for Christmas and the Christening, as well as get started on my friend Amanda’s wedding envelopes. We’re heading to the Texas vs. Arkansas game tonight (my level of excitement is around a 0.4 – not a football fan!) – I will be a good sport though for Sasha (the ultimate football fan). What do you have planned for this week? How were your holidays?
Making ‘baby steps’ with Baby Led WeaningOne of the many adorable gifts from MaraOne of Isla’s gifts from Mimi and Papa: a Hape Scoot Around Ride OnMini PatagoniaIsla’s cute Mudpie bow from my Dad’s amazing Executive Assistant, Dottie, and the Infantino Cloud Cart Cover