It has been far too long since I baked anything, as I went a litttttle crazy after Mara gave me this raw vegan cookbook for Christmas (it’s amazing, and I highly recommend you buy it!). After making delicious treats almost every other day, I think Sasha and I both needed a cleanse from pitted dates (essentials in raw ‘baking,’ and also one of my favorite foods on the planet).
After shooting Meredith’s cocktail last week, I remembered how much fun I have doing recipe posts and so decided to play around in the kitchen to create a delicious healthy chocolate cupcake. After a few (ahem) failed attempts, I have created a delicious and fudgy cake that tastes delicious even without the vegan cream cheese icing (but it’s definitely a yummy bonus).
As soon as the cupcakes had cooled from the oven, I let Isla taste test the first one. She literally smooshed it into her mouth in order to eat it quicker (and I had to squat Belle away, as she kept trying to get a bite). Then Isla stood with her hands on the kitchen cabinets and said, “Mowwwwww” (her attempt at “More”). Then Sasha got home and ate about five. So needless to say, they’re tasty – and easy to make! If the photos tickle your fancy, then give them a try and make sure to let me know if you love them!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup of Truvia baking blend
- 1.5 cups gluten-free oat flour (or all purpose, if no gluten allergies)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 1/3 cup of fat free cream cheese or vegan cream cheese (depending on dietary restrictions)
- 1/4 cup of fat free Greek yogurt (we love Fage)
- 5 packets of Stevia
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the cream cheese and greek yogurt to a bowl and beat until creamy. Add the Stevia, vanilla extract and agave nectar/maple syrup and continue to whip until airy. Once complete, put bowl into fridge.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and let curdle.
- In a separate bowl, add the dry ingredients. Make sure to sift the cocoa powder and oat flour to avoid clumps.
- After the milk has set for five minutes, add the coconut oil and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Slowly fold in the wet ingredients, stirring well in the process. Beat until thick, cake-like texture.
- Pour into cupcake liners (I made 9!). Keep in mind: they do rise!
- Put cupcakes into the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and carefully take the cupcakes (in their liners) out of the pan.
- Once they have cooled completely, add the icing and enjoy!
Additional Healthy Vegan Recipes on Snapshots & My Thoughts:
- Healthy Raw Vegan Oreos
- Healthy Raw Vegan Cheesecakes
- Vegan Everything Bar
- Healthy Vegan Crustless Apple Pie
- Healthy Vegan Banana Nut Bread
- Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- 5 Ingredient Raw Vegan Brownies (known around here as “Cocoa Balls”)
- Vegan Chocolate Beet Muffins