Happy Monday! It finally felt like fall this weekend, and absolutely everyone in Houston was talking about it. We had a ton of yard work done on Saturday (a follow-up to our meager attempts last weekend), and I’m sure the men were glad it was in the high 70s versus high 90s like it has been lately! Both Sasha and I are excited about the new bright plants (which may only last a few weeks) and fresh mulch. He made us take an official tour on Sunday morning – he’s a nut.
The low-light of this week was definitely Isla getting sick with a very high fever (103.8!), as well as two ear infections. I took her to the pediatrician on Friday, and he gave her a lot of medicine (which she absolutely deplores taking!). She’s on the mend though, and we’re so grateful for that fact.
The week did have a lot of highs, some of which included:
- Worshiping at Bayou City Fellowship on Sunday and running into some of my favorite familiar faces. I love that church family so much!
- Going to my Dad’s birthday lunch on Monday with my sisters at their house in Katy – he’s the hardest man to shop for, so if you’ve got some creative ideas, let me know!
- Eating at three of our favorite in Houston – Buff Burger, Carabbas (the original on Voss!) and Giacomo’s (Saturday date night!). If you live here and haven’t eaten at any of those places, you need to!
- Photographing Lauren Mills of Sunday Beach on Saturday morning at Berings and Tiny’s No. 5 (cutest restaurant ever!). She just announced she’s having a boy! So excited for them.
- Shooting Elly Brown of Uptown with Elly Brown outside the Menil Collection on Sunday, then heading to Meredith’s house to pick up flowers and going to Brazos Bend State Park for two family sessions: the Armes’ and the Adamsons! Sneak peeks of their sessions below.
- Taking Isla to swim class at Dad’s Club – she was the only one who showed up, so we got a fun private lesson. She’s a fish! She loves the water.
- Meeting Sasha at Zoe’s Kitchen for lunch and nipping into Gap for some new clothes for Isla – I caved and got a Gap card. I should have gotten one ages ago!
- Two days of crafts and one day of a makeshift piñata… I’m constantly trying to think of new ways to expand that little lady’s brain and increase her creativity, but may need to start turning to the pros on Pinterest! Ha.
- Ordering Pink Converse from Zappos for Isla, as Sasha had been complaining about her lack of “practical footwear.” I am obsessed with them! I have some in white, so now we can twin.
- Going to Trader Joe’s and picking out some pumpkins for the house (and for eating!). Isla thought they were all balls and kept yelling “BOHHHHL!!!”
- Getting visits from all four (immediate) grandparents during the week – including babysitting from Sasha’s mom, dinner with Sasha’s dad and a family dinner at the house with my older sister and parents on Sunday (I sadly missed it!).
- Finally making a trip to Sephora to get a whole heap of new makeup supplies. I do not spend a lot of money on beauty products, but was in need of some essentials. Of course, I ended up getting other stuff too, which I’ll share a review on soon!
- Having the very talented Jamie Sawicki over to our house to style and photograph some of her paintings (my Instagram post here) – I cannot wait to share more details!
- Going location scouting for family photos at Terry Hershey Park. Sasha rides his bike through it week, but I had never been! It’s gorgeous.
- Taking newborn photos of Baby Jack and getting a very real case of baby fever.
- After talking about a lob for a year, I got 9 inches taken off my hair and a keratin treatment by Eric Vaughn (who is amazing), then had my eyebrows done by Jackie!
- Meeting with Leah from The Monogram Shop at our house for some creative chat, and then going to the store later in the week (it’s next to TCBY, so obviously had to have some!).
- Last, but certainly not least: a Kwikar cleaning. Sasha is always on my case (rightfully so) about how untidy my car is! I finally got it cleaned and hope to keep it that way for a little while!
How was your week? What were your highlights?
On Tuesday, I got to meet the cutest little newborn named Jack. His mom, Katie, asked me to take his baby photos at their gorgeous house unknowing that we have a few mutual friends in common – the world is so small! I’m grateful that she asked me, because Jack is adorable and I’m glad I got to photograph these special early days.
Today I am sharing a few of my favorite photos from the session! Isn’t he a doll? Plus, his nursery decor is perfect! read more
I first met Megan this spring – the morning that we were both on Great Day Houston (alongside Esther, also featured in the #GIRLBOSS series). We chatted for about 3 minutes, exchanged each other’s Instagram details and just like that became real life friends (an important distinction in this day and age!). There are some people in life you click with immediately, and Megan is one of those people. We’ve had a handful of playdates in the past few months (hence lots of Isla photos on her feed!), and I am always ready to get the next one on the books.
Megan is an amazing business woman and the owner of a gorgeous hair accessories shop – Willow Crowns. Megan and her business partner, Stephanie, believe ” in good hair days every day,” which is easy when you a) have gorgeous hair like Megan and b) have a ton of amazing headbands at your fingertips. read more
Happy fall, y’all! Can you believe that last Wednesday was the first official day? Have you bought a pumpkin yet? Brought out your Halloween decor? Drank a Pumpkin Spice Lattee? Worn a sweater? If you live near us in Houston, you’ll likely only have done max one of those things, given that it’s still hot-hot-hot.
We spent a few hours yesterday in our front yard doing gardening before Sasha decided it was miserable and that we should get someone else to do it (fine by me!). I’ve had a few dedicated yard days since we bought the house three years ago, but all were pre-Isla and while Sasha was in class, so it was just me working. I could never convince Sasha to get yard men to do the planting until he actually got his hands dirty! I would consider that a win (ha!).
Some of the highlights from our past week include:
- Eating at Sweet Paris not once but twice – once with Megan and Olivia for brunch and on Saturday morning with Sasha! I got the Vegan and then a vegan parfait one, both are absolutely delicious! I could likely go every single day (and probably gain 25 pounds by doing so!).
- Photographing a DEFINE Body shoot for next month’s Breast Cancer Awareness month
- Meeting Elly Brown at CityCentre on Monday to shoot three outfits for her blog – Uptown with Elly Brown. She is so gorgeous!
- Treating ourselves to a little Jamba Juice at Greenway Plaza while waiting on Sasha’s car being serviced (why does it always take 2x longer than promised?).
- Going to Target for laundry detergent and lightbulbs and leaving with about 23 other things, including new blue pillows for our long couch!
- Having a hair consultation with my stylist, Eric Vaughn, for a chop and Keratin treatment on Tuesday – then eating lunch next door at Salata.
- Briefly meeting up with my friend, Joy, to give back Priya jewelry!
- Going to the Houston Garden Center and Home Depot on Sunday afternoon to buy a ton of flowers, grass and ivy to redo our front yard, which has been severely neglected by me. After working for four hours, Sasha decided to outsource the work, and we’re getting an estimate on Tuesday! Ha. Gardening is not our thing!
- Shooting with Kim Myers of Champagneista on Sunday evening at Highland Village.
- Watching two movies (even one would be rare!) throughout the week – The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Aquatic Life of Steve Zissou – they took us 6 nights to finish, but we loved both, mainly the former! Wes Anderson is amazing.
- Going to Isla’s swim class at The Dad’s Club, which is for sure a highlight every week. Isla loves the water! It’s hard to get her to stay out of the water when she’s dressed and ready to go home!
- Photographing an Uncork event at the JW Marriott downtown and finally meeting the sweet and trendy Magen Pastor after following each other on social media for awhile! The event was so fun (loved catching up with friends!).
- Testing technology with Meredith at my house and dying laughing over Google Effects – she caught the best photo ever of Isla wearing a monocle and having a halo. Hangouts are the best!
- Running into my friend, Melissa, at Lifetime and convincing her to do the crazy BBG arm workout with me! She’s so fit! She then ran something crazy like 18 miles on the treadmill the next morning!
- Playing tennis with Sasha at his mom’s neighborhood courts, while she watched Isla. I am not very good (understatement), so I had a lot of learning points from Sasha. Why is it always harder to be coached by your husband than anyone else? Ha!
- Going to a wedding at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church on Saturday where Isla’s Christening was held. It was great seeing almost all of Sasha’s family, and the bride, Iva, looked stunning. My best friend, McKenzie, babysat while we were gone, and she did the most amazing French braid in Isla’s hair.
- Getting one of our new favorite restaurants – Garbanzos – delivered to the house (I love delivery!!!). Garbanzos is the mediterranean version of Chipotle! We’re obsessed.
- Meeting Sasha for lunch at Zoe’s Kitchen on Thursday after swim class and sneaking off to buy some things from Carter’s (which is next door). I got some new sparkly black shoes, which I love! It’s so nice getting to sneak in a lunch with Sasha during the week!
- Having a fun little balloon party after buying another helium tank. Isla freaks out when she sees balloons – she LOVES them. I tied them to a candy bracelet, and she waved her hand around like crazy and was dying laughing at the noise.
- Finally getting the last pieces for our bedroom and photographing it (post here).
- Buying our first pumpkin of the fall, which Isla kept calling a “ball” and throwing it. I imagine it’ll be nice and smooshed inside.
- Buying new fall clothes at Gap including a fun French poodle sweater for Isla (similar here) – ready for it to be a tad cooler!
- Booking 10 family sessions in one week (which had a lot to do with this!) – I cannot believe I’m saying this, but I only have a few weekend days left in October and November, so email me now if you’re interested! Go to SnapshotsbyAileePetrovic.com for pricing details!
What were the highlights of your week?
Last week, I got together with some fabulous Houston ladies for a short photoshoot to promote Judy’s Mission and increase awareness of Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. The shoot was organized by Megan Silianoff, who is the hilarious creative genius behind Megan Silianoff Writes (specifically books and a hilarious blog – Greetings from TX). Meg is an ovarian cancer survivor, which she discusses in her book 99 Problems but a Baby Ain’t One (it’s on my nightstand, up next to be read!).
Next month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which you’ll realize as soon as October 1st rolls around, as pink license plates, banners, t-shirts, etc. start appearing everywhere you look. This is amazing. There is so much funding and research taking place to help cure breast cancer – which makes sense, as it accounts for almost 25% of all cancers. I personally have close friends who are survivors and also know of friends who have lost their mother’s to this terrible disease and am impressed by all of the research taking place. read more