One of my very best friends, Sophee, has one of the coolest jobs. She has been working for Kendra Scott since she graduated from The University of Texas, and recently switched into a new finance role. Almost two years ago on my bachelorette weekend, she told me that she had named a bracelet the ‘Ailee’ (see post here) – it was part of the 2014 Spring Atlantic Collection, and is my favorite Kendra Scott piece, naturally. This summer, she told me that she had named a necklace after Isla, and I literally cried. She is an amazing friend.
This past weekend, we hosted a wedding shower at our house for two of our close friends, Scott and Amanda. We tested the capacity of ‘The Manor,’ and had 67 people eating, drinking, laughing and taking polaroids (or Instax Minis, to be precise). Sasha and I had such a good time, and seriously cannot wait for their wedding in New Orleans in just a few months. I’ll share a handful of photos later this week – although it’s hard to play photographer when you’re busy being a host! I’m glad I got some photos taken before the party started. I did share one of my favorite pictures below – Amanda’s two adorable nieces came, and they love the photos. You’ll see the ‘World’s Best Selfies’ below!
The shower was by far the biggest highlight of the week, and getting ready for it took up most of the week. There were a few other fun moments, including:
- Meeting two sweet friends for lunch at Adair Kitchen and getting one of my favorite meals in the city – their black bean quinoa burger (it’s heavenly)
- Getting our new ficus lyrata set up – we ordered it from Houston Interior Plants and love it
- Ordering a British passport for Isla
- More mushed berry finger painting with Isla, as her aunts commissioned pieces of their own
- Hanging up lights in our backyard (well, Sasha did) – we ordered these ones from Amazon and love them!
- Taking Isla to the park with her cousins and swinging for the first time!
- Receiving packages from one of my best friends, Sophee, and from Kendra Scott – details on what was inside will be shared tomorrow!
- Catching up with one of my closest high school friends, Joy (who owns the amazing jewelry company, Priya) over lunch at Zoe’s Kitchen
- Receiving my two new wedding bands, as the tiny pave ones I had kept losing diamonds!
- Discovering that Isla is obsessed with Plum Organics squeezable purees – we are doing baby led weaning, but want to make sure Isla practices eating from a spoon too! She is obsessed with the Greek yogurt, spinach and raspberry flavor
- A playdate with McKenzie and Sasha’s mom on Friday – we had Isla time, then enjoyed lunch together at the house
- Getting pampered on Saturday morning with a mimosa and blowout (something I need every day!)
- Buying at least 7 outfit options for the shower, then wearing something I already owned (how often does this have to happen for me to learn?)
A definite low point was spending hours on the phone with Apple to fix my iPhoto – where I store all photos. Yikes. I was extremely cranky last night while this was happening!
I’ve seen lots of black and white this week in the fashion blog world, and I love it. I wear mostly neutrals nowadays, which is very different than what I wore a few years ago when I was completely Anthro-obsessed (still love Anthropologie, but I don’t shop there as often). When I write the Favorite Looks of the Week post every Friday, I try to include a variety of fashion bloggers – not just the same ten week in and week out. I’ve added a few new bloggers this week – Amy of Dallas Wardrobe and Lauren of LOLO Magazine. I love both of their styles so much.
Which of these looks is your favorite? Are there other fashion bloggers I need to check out to include in my weekly roundup?
On Tuesday, I posted a Valentine’s Day gift guide for the ladies, and today, I’m sharing some suggestions for what to buy your man. When I asked Sasha what men want for Valentine’s Day, he replied, “Nothing.” Typical.
However, some men are not quite as frugal as my Mr. Romantic, and if the love of your life falls into this category, I’ve got some gift recommendations for you. They are all relatively inexpensive too!
For the well-groomed man, I would buy Chanel Allure After Shave Lotion ($55, and swoon… it smells like heaven) or the cheaper option – Prospector Co. Brummell Shave Creme from J. Crew ($18). read more
Valentine’s Day is just a few weeks away, and I’ve already started seeing splatterings of pink and red all over retail stores (and in our very festive neighbor’s yard). I even ordered Isla these adorable heart leggings and this crowd pleaser onesie from Les Petits Darlings. I cannot wait to get it in the mail!
My birthday is only four days after Valentine’s Day, so for my entire adult life, the two celebrations have been bundled together. I cannot complain, as this normally means one bigger lovefest versus two smaller ones. Last year, Sasha treated me to a romantic dinner at Haven (where we went after he proposed – sadly, it closed in the fall). We normally don’t exchange big Valentine’s Day gifts, but try to do something meaningful and sweet. I got him a number of small items last year, including personalized M&Ms, which were adorable but ugh, $70 for a bag of candy is excessive (lesson learned). read more