Happy Black Friday! I hope you had the best Thanksgiving yesterday, and if you’re planning on shopping today or have already been… well, God bless you. I couldn’t do it! I’m all about the online deals right now. I’ll share some of the best Cyber Monday discounts soon!
Since today is technically set-up-your-Christmas-tree-day (Sasha, please!), I wanted to share details about one of my closest friend’s upcoming holiday workshop since it’s going to be so much fun, and I want you to join. Plus, you’ll get 10% off, but you’ve got some reading to do before you get there! read more
Today’s Christmas countdown is brought to you with sheer excitement as well as some panic, given that I have not bought a single gift, and we’re going to be sitting under a tree unwrapping presents in just 30 days. Yay and yikes. Black Friday sales, here I come. And by that, I totally mean Cyber Monday because let’s get real: I am not patient and will not go and stand in any lines at the mall.
I don’t want to sound like a broken record, so I’ll save you from the details on , and that Sasha told me he felt like a stay-at-home dad (SAHD) this weekend (ha, shocking that a husband would do dishes and laundry!!). I am so incredibly grateful for amazing opportunities, but also ready for family photo season to come to an end, as I want to see my family again!
Also, my mom was unexpectedly in the hospital this weekend, but she is back at home now and in good spirits. We greatly appreciate the calls, texts and prayers!
Other than that definite low-light of the week, some of the more fun moments included:
- Meeting and photographing Caroline Harper Knapp of House of Harper at her house twice – the second time involved a very smokey situation, as the flue was stuck… and we only realized that after the fire was started! Thank goodness her GC was nearby and came to fix the situation!
- Going to the Buzz magazine office for a meeting – excited to work with them on photography and contribute for a fun (and relevant to all of this blogging/Houston creatives) article!
- Ducking out of the rainstorm for TCBY with Leah of The Monogram Shop – I love her!
- Taking head shots with the fun gals behind Moms Without Answers. They were very colorful, and I’m excited for you to see them (sneak peek below!).
- Doing a holiday blanket pickup around town and getting to chat briefly to Meredith and my old Accenture boss, Andrew, whose wife just had twins!
- Taking five sets of family photos at Rice University (with Elly Brown‘s adorable family!), Lakeside Country Club, Lost Lake, the Arboretum, and the Menil Collection.
- Going to Isla’s swim class, which is always so much fun until we have to leave… which she never wants to do. Cue tantrum! She would truly want to stay in that pool all day long!
- Meeting my good friend Alexis for drinks at Devine in Memorial. I could literally talk to her for hours at a time, and I always leave with a laundry list of things I forgot to ask her about!
- Taking photos for Lauren Mills of Sunday Beach twice on Friday – in the morning and afternoon. She is a doll, and that bump is the cutest thing ever!
- Going to Sasha’s grandma’s Slava, which is a holiday celebrating a family’s patron saint. His mom hosted it at her house, and it was so great to see Sasha’s cousins and their kids.
- Surprising one of my best friends, Kirby, at Down House for dinner on Sunday. She is visiting her family for Thanksgiving, and we got to shower her (and sweet baby Henry in her belly) with love! I miss her so badly and wish they lived in Houston!
- Eating lunch at Carabbas on Saturday before heading to REI for our family’s annual trip where we all get a new jacket. I got a new ‘Underwater Blue’ Patagonia puffer jacket that I love, and Isla got a new fleece and her first backpack. I’m obsessed!
- Having my SIL, her boyfriend, Sasha’s dad and stepmom over for late lunch on Sunday. Ivana lives in San Francisco (we’re visiting in a few weeks!), and I love when she is in town. As does Isla, who has been saying, “NANA!” on repeat for days.
- Photographing our sweet friends, Amanda and Scott, at Memorial Park with their rescue pup, Gilbert. We may or may not have been surprised mid-shoot when the cops showed up with flashing lights on. Whoops. I guess we weren’t supposed to drive down that dirt road! No arrests though, thank goodness.
I hope you had a fabulous week and that this one is starting off well too. Happiest early Thanksgiving!! xo
This past weekend, I was asked to photograph a first birthday party at a neighborhood park. Walking into it, I had no idea that I was going to encounter the cutest and most-Pinterest worthy celebration ever. The theme was ‘Woodland One-derland,’ and I was gushing over every single intricate detail.
Unfortunately, I can’t source things, since it isn’t my party, but if you have questions about any of the party decor, I’m happy to ask Sarah (Liam’s mom) and get back to you! Nobody should ever question the amount of blood, sweat and tears that goes into these first birthday parties! I know from first-hand experience (Isla’s party blog post here and Project Nursery post here) that they take umpteen hours to plan and fly by so incredibly quickly.
Feast your eyes on this gorgeous woodland party, share with friends who have young babes and Pin away!
Three posts in one day after 4+ weeks of having only a ‘Week in Review’ post? Things are getting crazy around here! Ha. Kidding (and don’t expect it to continue!). But back to the serious things in life: 36 days until Christmas. I am so excited. Get your Christmas lists ready! Holiday gift guides to come soon.
I shared some of our PJ traditions on Monday and our favorite new Bumbo seat yesterday, so this post got bumped back two days. Since it’s basically my online diary/how I keep track of all-things-past, I didn’t want to skip it entirely! The past week had me pulling out my hair more often than not, but I keep reminding myself of the fun holiday events coming up soon, and it gets me through the very, very late nights.
The week was filled with lots of highlights and fun friend/family time, including:
- Having my dad babysit (multiple times) by himself! My mom is out of town, and he’s really stepped up to the plate (with Sasha’s mom too). He did call me to ask if she was able to go to sleep with the hiccups (ahem, yes?), so I’m more concerned with her being overly cared for versus the alternative.
- Going to Isla’s swim class, which is normally at Dad’s Club but is currently being held at Dive Tech while renovations take place. Isla throws a fit when we have to leave which is 10% cute because she obviously loves it and 90% embarrassing.
- Co-hosting a party at Blue Leaf to celebrate the launch of cuteheads’ new collection. I was hosting alongside two fabulous women – Lauren Mills of Sunday Beach and Candace Taylor of Luxe with Kids.
- Getting coffee with my former co-worker, Rowland, at Fellini at CityCentre and catching up on life. He is the best!
- Eating Sunday lunch at Ruggles Green with our good friends and their newborn baby Archer.
- Enjoying dinner at Benjys with our sweet friends whose photos I took beforehand at Discovery Green, which is a fun and colorful spot in downtown Houston.
- Having a family dinner at Adair Kitchen on Saturday after I finished taking family photos for Megan of Willow Crowns. Their photos make me swoon.
- Picking up lunch at Buff Burger, which is the best place ever. Alice agrees with me! I could eat their veggie burger every single day!
- Eating brunch with my younger sister, Jill, and her boyfriend, Kevin, at Sweet Paris in Rice Village. Jill is in med school and is busy, busy, busy, so we don’t get to see them as often as we would like!
- Taking newborn photos of sweet Tinley Hope, whose nursery is seriously the most gorgeous thing ever. I’m going to do a post with the photos soon! I also took photos for the sweetest little two week old, John, whose nursery was equally amazing. Rifle Paper Co. prints everywhere = my kind of place!
- Photographing a fun little project with Magen Pastor above Tout Suite! We’re not sharing these just yet, but I’m bursting at the seams because her twins are seriously drop dead gorgeous and the pictures turned out great!
- Meg Owens pictures at Centennial Gardens
- Taking blogger outfit photos for Alex Carreno downtown, Ashley Seippel at Highland Village, Jessica Gentry at the Menil Collection, and Elly (plus her husband and oldest son) at Highland Village. These ladies are the best!
- Taking family photos for our good friends at Terry Hershey Park. I feel like Pierson was just born and all of a sudden he is three years old, running around and throwing fake snow. Ugh, time slow down!
- Photographing the sweetest family at TC Jester Park and getting some fun tiny Santa hat photos of their two sweet boys (one shown below).
- Taking first birthday party photos at Briargrove Park for Liam’s Woodland One-derland (sneak peek here). I will definitely share ALL of these pictures! The theme and decor was entirely too cute.
- Taking photos of our friends at their insanely stunning new house which backs onto a lake and I was googly-eyeing them while editing! Their family is so handsome, and the setting for the photos couldn’t have been better.
- Hanging out in PJs on a number of occasions for the Carter’s post! Nothing to complain about there!
Hope you’re having an amazing week so far! Happy Hump Day – we’re halfway to Friday!
Last weekend, our little family headed to True Food Kitchen for post-church brunch. It only opened last year, but has quickly become one of our favorite restaurants in the city (tofu lettuce wraps, fall harvest salad, fun fruity cocktails, delicious beet juice – yes, please). At 17 months, Isla has become increasingly agitated with sitting in uncomfortable, wooden highchairs at restaurants, so we decided to bring our Bumbo chair for her to sit in instead. It’s super light to carry and straps easily onto chairs. Although there is an attachable tray that tucks into the back, it puts toddlers at the perfect height to use the dining table. As you can see from these photos, Isla feels (and acts – reading that menu upside down!) like she’s ‘one of us’ when she’s in her chair. read more