If I were to use one word to describe last week, it would have to be rainrainrainrain. As soon as you thought it would stop raining, it would pick right back up. Tons of neighborhoods in the city were completely flooded, and we were lucky enough to stay pretty dry (or flood free, I guess!). I could not believe what we were watching on the news and even on my friends’ Snapchats!
Since the first few days of last week prohibited photos being taken, the latter half was pretty insane. And I left for Chicago at 7am on Friday morning (those early morning flights are always painful!), which meant I was rushing to get everything done before I left. I was visiting my best friend of 18 years (which means I’m way too old!!) who moved there in December – I kept telling myself it was too chilly to visit her, so booked a flight in April and alas, mid-40 degree weather. In the spring. Yikes. Thank goodness it was the best weekend ever, and we were too busy to notice the cold. We met our good friend, Caroline, at Google for lunch, then went to Cindie’s at the Chicago Athletic Club, took photos by The Bean, then ate dinner at Summer House and wandered in and out of cute boutiques on the way home. Friday night was a relaxing night in – face masks, cheese and rose! Truly perfect. On Saturday, we ate breakfast at Southport Grocery and Cafe, shopped nearby and then went to the Lincoln Park Conservatory (which is a dream!). Afterwards, we drank delicious smoothies at Real Good, strolled down to the lake where we relaxed, looking out at the gorgeous blue water. Then we met up with Caroline, went to Hotel Lincoln (which was ridiculously busy!), so headed to Corcoran’s Pub, before taking a taxi to dinner at The Hampton Social and then a glass of wine at Caroline’s apartment. It was a jam packed 48 hours, and I got to spend time with some people I love so, so much – my heart is still full from the trip! I can’t wait to go back with Sasha and Isla!
Some other highlights from the past week included:
- Eating lunch with Sasha’s cousin’s wife at Tiny’s No. 5 – the acai bowl is amazing. I love Melissa – we chatted for a few hours and I didn’t even notice!
- Taking photos for Emily Reeves and Kristin Tauber to promote their next calligraphy and floral workshop (details here).
- Taking blog photos for Destiny at Kendra Scott (fun collab that y’all will see soon!), Elly (basically in the pouring rain!), and Caroline, at her house.
- Meredith consultation for Isla’s party at her house! I am excited and very stressed
- Finishing the craft closet with help from Meggie of Organized Life Design – she is the best, and I cannot wait to reveal the progress and final photos!
I hope y’all are already having a great week so far! xo
Hello from a very flooded Houston! Sasha was supposed to drive to Austin early this morning, but per the blaring weather alerts going off throughout the night, that wasn’t going to happen. The whole city was told to stay inside, so that is what we did! By 11am, I was already feeling cabin fever – I’m clearly not made to stay inside. Sasha has since headed out the door, and Isla and I have been doing our spring cleaning – part of our homework from Meggie Mangione of Organized Life Design. Meggie came for our second organization session yesterday, and we made so much progress in moving everything from the guest room into the playroom closet and drawers. I’m excited for our final meeting, during which we’ll wrap everything up. I will be sharing photos afterwards! I have been dreading this project for ages, but Meggie made it such a breeze!
Some other highlights from the week included:
- Meeting and photographing gorgeous baby Townes’ at the hospital – he didn’t look like a new newborn at all! He’s a serious doll. I’m obsessed already!
- Getting to spend time with two of our best friends, Kirby and Brett, meeting baby Henry for the first time (he was too good and slept most of the evening!!) and watching Isla and Lillian interact. We wish so badly that they lived in Houston!
- Lots of blogger shoots – Destiny at her house with lunch and a playdate too! // Alex at our house for a little Mark & Graham engagement party + Coachella-inspired hangouts // Molly and Lyndsey at The Menil // Esther at Summer Street Studios // Megan at Highland Village
- My sister-in-law pushed her flight to SFO back by a few days, so we got to spend some more quality time together – even introduced her to Door Dash and Adair Kitchen (where we went as a family of three on Friday!)
- Doing an OrangeTheory class with Destiny and some other wonderful bloggers and then having lunch with our men and the kiddos after at Ruggles Green afterwards (we literally braved a storm!) – and running into Melissa and Mikey there was wonderful!
- Going with Isla to her swim class – we double-dutied it, and she loved swimming back and forth and back and forth between the two of us! She’s a fish and loves the pool!
- Photographing the spring/summer DEFINE shoot, styled by Meredith, hair and makeup by Brittany, creative direction from Cailyn and Candace and models including Chiara, Lauren and Chandra.
- Interviewed interns and hired one – Hannah – whom I’ll introduce on the blog in two weeks when she starts! I’m excited to work with her (and have some help around here!).
- Going to Bayou City Fellowship with Curtis preaching – always my favorite. We got to sit next to Sydney, who was there solo after Philip was suffering from a littttttle too much crawfish (surely that’s what was holding him back! ha!).
Hope you had a wonderful week. If you’re in Houston, stay dry!! xo
Happy Tuesday! When my WIR posts don’t make it out on Monday, it’s pretty indicative of what the weekend and start of the week looked like. I feel like it has been nonstop go-go-go the past few weeks, and finally today it’s a bit slower (by that, I mean only two short blogger shoots!). Sasha is still traveling every week for work, which is bad for a number of reasons: most importantly, because we miss him, but also because I need someone to say, “Ailee, it’s midnight, GET IN BED!” Ha! Time flies when you’re alone at your desk at night. Do y’all work with music or TV on? I find I can only be productive in absolute silence.
Anyway, I digress. Although the week was busy, there were lots of wonderful moments, like:
- Spending lots of time with my sister-in-law, who was in town for two of her bridal showers – one on Saturday in Katy and another I co-hosted on Sunday at The Polo Club. We got our hair blown out beforehand at Dry Bar, then I grabbed the gorgeous floral arrangements from Meredith (as well as her amazing flamingo hat) and headed to the party. It was so much fun – Ivana is loved by so many people!
- Working with Meggie of Organized Life Design on a fun guest room closet clean out – below photo shown below! I can’t wait to share more details!
- Celebrating the launch of the #sugarandclothcolorwall – it was so much fun and there was an amazing turnout. Excited for Ashely and Jared!
- Having my older sister over for dinner twice – she introduced me to Door Dash (G A M E C H A N G E R!!!). I love getting to spend time with her. Sasha made us watch an old Brad Pitt movie, which I thought was weird at first, but then got into it once I understood the plot.
- Eating an extremely last minute dinner with one of my favorite people on this planet – Paola (or ‘PC Pants’). She had a layover in Houston on her way home to Honduras and missed it by a hair. I felt bad for her travel horror story, but loved that I got to break bread with her at Adair Kitchen. I miss her so much!
- Going to Isla’s swim class at Dad’s Club (hooray!) – we’ve been using another facility for months now due to renovations, but the weather is finally good enough to have classes outside again. I am so excited, because the pool is so close to our house! Isla wore her new swimsuit from SwimZip, which I totally adore and want in my size! More to come on SwimZip soon!
- Getting coffee at Adair Kitchen with a former co-worker (she was way higher than me in the organization, but we worked together on a number of non-client projects!) and chatting about life and work. I love her!
- Watching Isla play with her little cousins who live nearby in their backyard (lots of slides, swings, jungle gym, pool, etc. = Isla’s heaven). Belle was having a great time too (as well as the adults!).
- Taking a quick trip to The Monogram Shop and chatting with Leah – it’s unbelievable that she’s about to give birth any day now, because she looks so good!
- Taking three sets of family photos – a total of four adorable boys and one girl whose cuteness I cannot handle! Families and newborns are still my favorite thing to photograph. I love kids and babies!
- Photographing Destiny, Megan, Lauren, Caroline (twice!), Molly and Lilly – it was a busy blogger week! Thank goodness I love those gals.
- Grabbing coffee with my photographer crush, Traci Ling, at Tout Suite, and running into Carrie and another amazing Houston photographer Maritere Rice.
I hope you had a fabulous week!
Just another manic Monday! I’m running around, trying to catch up after a relaxing-ish weekend (or Sunday, at least). I know people hate on Mondays, but sometimes I enjoy getting back into a routine!
My favorite part of the weekend was a picnic we had at a park nearby, which was next to a gorgeous bluebonnet field. It was a very last minute thing – we were on a family walk, decided it was too pretty to eat indoors, so we walked home, called Ruggles Green, jumped in the car, grabbed our food then went to the park. Oh those bluebonnets! They are so gorgeous.
Some other highlights from the week included:
- Going to church at Bayou City Fellowship and listening to a moving sermon from our Pastor Curtis.
- Going to Tova’s naming ceremony brunch (we were late because of church!) – she is such a doll and was snoozing in her mama’s arms!
- Taking Megan’s daughter’s newborn photos in the most gorgeous nursery I have ever seen!
- Did you see Kate Blue’s announcement on her Instagram? I snapped some photos of her and Philip on Saturday for the big reveal!
- Taking Leah’s maternity photos after Kate’s reveal. It was my idea – how could she not document how amazing she looks at 38 weeks??
- Photographing Caroline and then her mom and sister – what a gorgeous family!
- Taking photos for Elly and Ashley in the Heights – a spot I don’t normally visit.
- Meeting Kristen, Destiny and Megan at Mod Pizza in Cypress – of course, I was on a juice cleanse, so I didn’t get to enjoy anything other than their company But that was great.
- Taking Houston’s (dog) 2nd birthday photos at Rice! Kristen is the best pup mama, documenting these special occasions 😉
- Eating dinner on Sunday at Adair Kitchen – my favorite spot in Houston. I love their veggie super food bowl!
Hope you had a great week! xo
I think it would be impossible for me to envy Phuong Nguyen’s talents more than I already do. This post took me ages and ages to write, because every reference link she sent me, I gazed longingly at every detail of the photos. Phuong is the owner of Mibellarosa Designs, a design studio based in Houston, specializing in (exceptional beautiful!) event planning and floral designs. I first worked with Phuong on a Valentine’s shoot I did with Destiny, and the florals she created were unbelievable.
Shortly after that, I ordered an Omakase vase (translation: “I’ll leave it up to you” – Phuong’s selection!) for Caroline Knapp on her birthday (on her Instagram here), and I felt it was the perfect way to give someone (who has lots of gorgeous things already!) a thoughtful gift. I will definitely be ordering more for other friends’ birthdays. I can’t wait to work with Phuong again – hopefully soon!
You’ll quickly scroll through this post (before reading it in great detail, of course) and go googly-eyed over the florals she has created and her incredible styling She has the best taste (true story, I’ve had Police’s ‘Every Little Thing She Does is Magic’ stuck in my head the entire time I’ve worked on this post – not a coincidence!). So without further ado…